Saturday, November 04, 2006

 

Treatise on Atonement p. 182-183

Part III.
THE CONSEQUENCES OF ATONEMENT TO MANKIND.
______
CHAPTER I.
THEIR UNIVERSALITY.

IN this last inquiry, I must be a little more lengthy than in either of the former, but I hope not to be too tedious. What I shall contend for, as the consequences of atonement, is the universal holiness and happiness of mankind, in the final issue of the Redeemer's process. In doing this I will —

First. Make a fair statement of the doctrine of universal salvation, as I understand it.

Secondly. Take notice of the most frequent objec­tions stated against the doctrine by various denomi­nations. And

Lastly. Give my reasons for believing in my general proposition from Scripture and reason.

I will make the statement of the doctrine which I believe, as short as possible.

1st. God created man in Christ the Mediator; in which creation, the law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus, of which St. Paul speaks to the Romans, was the whole governing principle of his nature.

2d. After the creation of man in this divine constitution, it pleased the Almighty to reduce him to a state of formation in flesh and blood; in which constitution, the law of sin, which St. Paul said he found in his members, became the governing principle of the whole man.

3d. God has revealed his divine and glorious purpose of bringing man back from his formed state, and from under the law of the earthly Adam, to his original created state, forever to be under the governing power of the law of the heavenly constitution.

The objections, of which notice will be taken, stand opposed to my third proposition. The first that I notice is found in a proposition frequently stated by modern divines, thus, "God, in the. great and infinite plan of moral government, consults the greatest possible good to the whole system; and in order for the greatest possible happiness to be produced, it was necessary that some of God's rational creatures should be eternally miserable. Agreeable to which all men cannot be saved." This is the only ground on which an objection can be stated against universal holiness and happiness, while we admit the existence of an Infinite Supreme.

I cannot go into an examination of any authorities on which the above statement is supposed to stand; for I know of none. All I can do is to examine the statement itself. It is argued, agreeably to this prop­osition, that the infinite and inconceivable miseries of the wicked, in the world to come, will enhance the happiness of the glorified in heaven.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

archives