Saturday, March 04, 2006

 

The Glurging Tree

We had a discussion in class recently about the gender roles in The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein and whether the book is of any value in teaching about love or Christ. I think it's terrible for any purpose. I compared it to glurge emails that make you cry through sheer emotional manipulation, but have no lasting value. I could be wrong, but my mom taught me that codependency is a bad kind of love, even between parent and child. I think that as a unconventional Christian I can follow my developing theology wherever it leads, but now I am going to be very careful that it doesn't lead down the road to some codependent model of Christ. Here's a similar debate:

Debate on The Giving Tree

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

archives