Friday, October 21, 2005

 

One God?

Over at pomomusings, a post on praying with Muslims drew many questions on whether or not Christians and Muslims are praying to the same God? The general consensus was that no, they are not, due to the trinitarian beliefs of orthodox Christianity.

This is so weird to me, because it seems like orthodox Christianity is also monotheist. So there is only ONE God.

Unless there are a bunch of Gods out there for different religions, which is certainly one method of dealing with pluralism but not one I hear very often, isn't the actual question whether the ONE God hears prayers of those who use the wrong name, or don't believe he came to earth, or think he is revealed through a prophet and a book that is not the Bible?

I just see the problem as more in what the ONE God will tolerate as far as differing beliefs about him than in the question of to what God are people praying?

Am I off base on this logical progression somewhere?

Comments:
If you call me by a different name, if you and I have a different dialogue then your neighbor has with me, if you believe things about me that are very differen than what your cousin reveals, we have a discussion about whether or not someone has a "greater measure" of the truth...but it is still the same me. The issue is the perception, not the underlying reality. A different perception of the principial reality does not divide that reality, nor does it invalidate it, nor does it create a false principial reality. It perceives things througha different lens. (Again, this is not to address if one lens is more clear, or if another is fractured; only whether these lenses point to the same reality.) So...same God.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

archives