Thursday, October 13, 2005

 

Liberal Baptists?

As I have posted, we have been going to a very liberal Baptist/UCC church now that we're in Atlanta. I like it because it has communion every Sunday, is liturgically oriented, and is welcoming to all, without all the conditions you find in many churches, such as baptised only, straight only, etc.

Today I got an email from the advisor of the Baptist Studies Program at Candler asking if I wanted to get involved in some of their activities. I said yes, but then I thought, maybe I should do a little more research into this Baptist thing.

Here are some places I looked:
Alliance of Baptists-This organization, with 9 churches in Georgia, formed in 1987, is a network of pretty liberal Baptist churches. It has an ecumenical agreement with the United Church of Christ and the Churches of Christ, Disciples. This is the organization to which Virginia Highland Church belongs. There is some overlap with:
American Baptists-This is the other half of the Convention that split over slavery and produced the Southern Baptists. Moderately liberal and racially diverse, with 22 churches in Georgia, one of which is Georgia Avenue Church, the church which houses my Con Ed site, Georgia Avenue Community Ministries.
Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-Another network of churches, 40 in Georgia. Moderate, with an emphasis on individual and congregational freedom, it does not take positions on issues, but focuses on networking congregations. Surprisingly, a church from my hometown is a member, but not First Baptist, which is Southern Baptist all the way.
Progressive Baptist.net-a progressive Baptist blogger, getting a PhD at Brite Seminary.

I will post more resources as I find them.

Comments:
Oakhurst Baptist Church is an awesome Baptist church in Atlanta that was influential in my coming out. Chris Copeland was the associate minister there, he rocks.

They were kicked out of the Southern Baptist Convention because he's gay and they accepted it.
 
Hey Scott,

I have been meaning to visit Oakhurst. Several people at Candler have told me how great it is. I hope to get over there soon.

Anna
 
Historicaly, manly of the old southern Universalists were former Baptists (Father Daniel Clayton being best known),
and as the old southern Universalist churches faded in the 1920s-1930s, they became members of Baptist churches again --- so its certainly not that far a stretch.
(although the direction of the Southern Baptist Church is the past 30 years does make that seem a more unusual trend than it was).

steven rowe
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

archives