Monday, August 29, 2005

 

I believe the children are our future...

My work-study job for a professor at Candler will involve helping build the membership of Interfaith Children's Movement of Metro Atlanta, and attending their Prayer Breakfast in a month, featuring Marian Wright Edelman! I am so excited to hear her!

And what the movement is trying to accomplish is really important work . It always amazes me that with all the religious people in the world, most of whose religions seem to value children at least a little, we are not able to make things better for children who suffer abject poverty and abuse on a daily basis, and then we are shocked when they grow up to be criminals or terrorists. Go figure. But maybe my efforts with ICMMA will help just a little. I hope so.

Comments:
Hi Anna,

I wanted to inform you (tho you may already know) of this effort in ATL to help the hurricane victims (from an email I sent this morning):

There is a local effort underway to help people displaced by the hurricane at Chamblee First Methodist Church:
4147 Chamblee Dunwoody Road
7-457-2525

What they need is for people to unload supplies and bring blankets, personal hygene products, etc. There will be a staging area w/ about 500 to 1000 people being processed per day and who will then be sent to housing throughout north Georgia.

Please feel free to join in the effort; Rob and I will be going over to help out this afternoon. For those of you in my neighborhood, if you have items to donate, please call me and we'll gather them up before we go over.

Please also pass this along to your friends, your houses of worship, community organizations, etc.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

archives